Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fashionably Late

You can't tell some people they're not fly. They could have on a kilt at a Black Panther meeting and get away with it without ever thinking they couldn't. That's how Jackie was. Everything was a show. She was always a star in her own sky...

My sister's Junior High School graduation...
I attended with a distant cousin which pissed me off because I wanted to roll in with my mother, but she had another appointment and said she would be late. I had to sit in between my sister's grandmother and someone who smelled like peanut butter. I spent most of the event trying to figure out who had Skippy in their pocket.

The students sang their songs and some boring people said their speeches. My sister's big head continued to pick apart the crowd behind her looking for her mother's face. I was excited when they called my sister's name to recite her valedictorian speech.

Beaming with pride, big sis did her thing. About halfway through, she went still...cold, even. There was nothing behind those big brown eyes. Her mouth was wide open and she was looking in our direction. I tried to catch what she saw... and there she was.... Jackie. My mother had on a skin-tight, red, leather dress with leopard skin stilettos, moseying her way across the row. EVERYONE in the crowd looked back. LMAO. A loud thump went through the auditorium. When the principal was finished being distracted with my mother's curves, he realized it was my sister fainting. LOL. It was hilarious. I was cracking up. They carried her off the stage and went to the next order of business.

After the ceremony, it was picture time!!! All the boys wanted to take pictures with my mother. They asked my sister if it was OK and she replied, "Hell No". LOL. My mother took the pics anyway. It was hilarious. In all of the pictures from that day, my sister has the meanest face. Lips all tight...eyes squinted. My mother is cheesin'...

My sister said, "But why does it have to be all about you?" She was such a pouter. Still is.
My kindergarten graduation was coming up. I begged my mother to wear that same outfit. She said that would be tacky. I told my sister I wish my graduation could be that exciting. She told me to shut up and keep rubbing the knot on her head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was just awesome...I can't even explain..it just made my day..I was getting so nervous thinking, "OMG, what is Jackie wearing to make her stop in the middle of the speech???"...and here she comes Lady in Red...I couldn't help but smile..not THAT's fly!

Green said...

I wish I had video footage because I would've definitely posted it.
That was who she was.